Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Middle-school mouths?!!!

Part of my plan to get back to work is bringing an exercise routine back into my daily life. So here I am using the middle-school jogging track. It's a beautiful day. Just walking and admiring the beauty of the verde valley. Then a class came out to play soccer. I'm totally distrubed! I have heard the "F" word( and I don't mean fail). Countless times. How is this ok? I guess I am a real paully-Anna but this is not accetable to me. Wondering if some of the other teachers here can help me. Has this become acceptable? I see three teachers down there. Not just bad language but harsh and disrespectful attitudes. How can these students be allowed to treat their fellow classmates this way. Of course I don't know what will happen when they return to the class but I don't understand how this type of behavior can be ignored. Is it just a case of choose your battles and foul language is just more of the norm? I don't know but my 15 year-old is in trouble for saying sh** yesteday. Do I just need to relax and get over it?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. from your i-phone! Well, that is just cool.

    I think we all need to confront what we believe is "wrong" when we see it. Whatever it is. If we do not do it as individuals, the group we are in certainly will not.

    As for kids using foul language more. Absolutely. It did not begin with them though. It is not fair to blame them. It started in the media and families they have been born in to.

    It has always been true that when the cat is away, the mice play. The playing may be a bit different to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is more difficult than ever to help kids understand that not every word is appropriate for every situation or location. Notice how adults are interacting with young people in public places like restaurants and grocery stores on a daily basis. Also listen to the language that is being used on TV including the nightly news and you will also get an idea of what is acceptable vocabulary for everyday conversation.

    Thanks for commenting. I was beginning to think that no one is really paying attention any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent the weekend with about 25 teen boys and yeah, I'm disturbed by it. I think back on my own experince as one of them and I'm honestly not sure if it was as profane or not, but there's a lot of both nature and nurture going on in the lives of young people.
    One of the men that was there suggested we say "that's not cool" to them as a way to try and bond while still rejecting disrespectful behaviors and language.

    ReplyDelete